Greenville Downtown Airport HISTORY

History

  • Opened in 1928 and was initially named Greenville Municipal Airport. 

  • In 1930, GMU received its first airmail flight. 

  • Amelia Earhart visited GMU the weekend of November 12 - 14, 1931.

  • From 1942 to 1945, GMU served as a US Army Air Corps glider base. 

  • Up until 1962, GMU was THE commercial airport for the Greenville area.

  • The current terminal was originally constructed in 1953 and completely renovated in 1991, winning a national award.